Monday, April 18, 2011

Oh, the birds I saw today continued...


Decided to walk the CM meadows today. While in the paking lot I saw a kettle of birds and spotted what I thought were 2 Bald Eagles flying in tandum. Up went the bins and sure enough an adult and juvenile Bald Eagles. They didn't hang around very long at most 5 minutes and I would have enjoyed watching them much longer. (Next I saw several Common Yellow-throats quickly fly by and heard many more; some Mallard couples and some male American Coots feeding in the waters, some flyover Forster's Terns and a flyover Killdeer.

Onto the beach where I first heard the American Oystercatcher couple before seeing them feeding along the waters edge along with 2 feeding Piping Plovers along with some Laughing Gulls. How exciting (for me)to see both Bald Eagles and Piping Plovers the same day!

Then I went back onto the West Trail where 5 Osprey were practicing stopping in air to dive down for fish. They would get into postion with their feet down and then avert not going down for a fish. This went on for at least 15 minutes that I watched before one finally splashed down and came away with a prize. Finally several others got fish also. They all flew away over the trees towards Cape May so I wonder where their nests are located. There were also Snowy and Great Egrets, some Canada Geese, more Mallard couples, some Gadwall couples and a river otter.




About halfway down the path I found this bird foraging along the edge of the water. Tomorrow I will have to figure out the bird as now I must go off to bed.

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

Neat post with beautiful birds. Nothing like walking along the beach. Unfortunately their aren't many beaches in my corner of the state. :)