Sunday, August 14, 2011

More exciting times - Monarch Butterflies




In 2010 I learned that to have Monarchs come and raise their young one needed to have milkweed. I planted milkweed last year but not enough or soon enough to have any great stands of it. Some mikweed species are perennial but there are a few varities that need to be planted every year.

This year I started earlier and planted more types of milkweed so I am attracting the graceful Monarchs into the yard. I was SO excited to find a chrysalis hanging from the side of the back steps on Friday!

Monarchs are the only butterly known for their long migration similar to birds. In North America in the fall monarchs begin their journey. It takes several generations of Monarch's to reach their wintering grounds in Mexico and CA. Once there the monarch goes into a phase of non reproduction which lasts 7 months or more. Normally, a summer monarch will live about 2 months.



No comments: