Thursday, October 20, 2016

My Yard ~ Cape May Monarch Monitoring Project

For about the past 2 weeks Roger & Judy H have been tagging Monarch Butterflies in our yard. Today there was a definite increase in Monarchs. While I was outside getting pictures f the butterflies Roger stopped by.  He was able to tag 25 Monarchs in a very short period of time ~ about one every 2-3 minutes.  Then he was out of tags for this year.   So total tagged here in the yard was 49 Monarch butterflies.  Today was the highest number for this year with 32 monarchs counted.  We still have some caterpillars on both Tropical and Swamp milkweed.  I counted 20 chrysalis that I could see and I am sure there are lots more hidden in the gardens.  We also have been having Monarchs enclose almost every day now.  Time for them to move south to Mexico for the winter.



Monarch chrysalis overhang steps


Enclosed Monarch pumping up wings

Monarch tagged in our yard



No comments: