Thursday, January 26, 2017

Birding Cumberland County, NJ

Red-tailed Hawk
I made a spur of the moment decision to stop by Turkey Point on my way home from Philly and see what birds were around to see.  First stop at King Lake, I saw at least 6 young Bald Eagles , This Red-shouldered Hawk and some vultures. Going out to Turkey point I saw numerous Northern Harriers hunting across the fields, several adult Bald Eagles and some unidentified sparrows.  Then I drove out to the Maple Avenue impoundments to see if there were any swans.  I was hoping for Tundra's and ended up with some Mute Swans.  I am surprised at how few ducks are around this year.  Also out at Maple Avenue were the Turkey and Black Vultures having a meal.  It was an enjoyable afternoon. 



Mute Swan

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture



2 comments:

marciinidaho said...

Hi Beth

I'm curious, what is a life bird?

Marci in Idaho

Beth Polvino said...

It's a bird you see for the first time in your life - at least in your birding life. Many birders also count birds year to year. Like me I have seen about 74 bird species in 2017 so far but that's not important to me but an online program eBird keeps my lists for me.