Wednesday, December 5, 2018

My Yard ~ Brazilian Skipper ~ Oh What a Year!

It has been the year of the Brazilian Skipper for me and much of NJ.  Several weeks ago I dug up the cannas for the winter to store in the garage. As I cut the stalks off I found over 2 dozen spent chrysalis indicating there were many more of these skippers in the yard then I originally thought.  At the time I also found another 6 chrysalises that I put into the garage.  It was amazing that any looked good with the fall winds we had been having. On November 29th, the last one eclosed and became a butterfly.  We were having OK weather at the time so he was let go and hopefully, made it South.
Brazilian Skipper caterpillar silking his nest area 11/4/18






Some of the spent Chrysalises  11/19/18


Chrysalises looking viable 11/19/18


Brazilian Skipper eclosed 11/29/18

Close-up Brazilian Skipper eclosed 11/29/18

No comments: