Thursday, October 27, 2022

My Yard ~ Late Butterflies

 Today was a nice sunny day after 4 days of cloudy, cool weather - mid 60's with winds 10-145 MPH.  I put up the feeder pole and put out several feeders for the birds.  I bought a platform feeder and a squirrel proof feeder and filled them with a mix of safflower seed and sunflower chips.  I added a Niger sock for the goldfinches and a peanut block in a cage.  I am hoping the squirrels aren't able to get onto the pole as there is a baffle.  First bird we saw on it was a white-breasted Nuthatch.

Then as I was sitting and enjoying the feeder from the back deck an Eastern Comma came to visit - new yard butterfly #31.  I decided to check all of the gardens and found another new yard butterfly #32 Eastern-tailed Blue.  Also present were Cabbage White, Orange Sulphur, Painted Lady, and Fiery Skipper.  A bit later there was a Monarch heading South.

Eastern-tailed Blue

Fiery Skipper

Orange Sulphur

Cabbage White

I also saw some cabbage whites, another orange sulphur, another fiery skipper and a meadow fritillary while taking a walk in my community..


No comments: