Wednesday, July 10, 2024

My Yard ~ Rustic Sphinx Moth on ChaCha Penstemon

 Something was eating my ChaCha Cherry Penstemon. I picked up a branch and felt something that didn't belong there. Must admit it took me back until I got a look at it. It's some type of sphinx moth. INat says Rustic Sphinx.





















The interesting find yesterday on one of my deck plants. The report from butterfliesandmoths.org with the same findings by iNaturalist. Then I found a second one on the same plant.
Rustic sphinx: Manduca rustica
Observation date: July 10, 2024
Submitted by: Beth Polvino
Specimen type: Photograph
Observation notes: Found on ChaCha Cherry Penstemon. Had eaten much of the plant.
Status: Alive
Verified by: curtis.lehman
Verified date: July 10, 2024
Coordinator notes: None.
Checklist region(s): United States, Pennsylvania, Chester County

No comments: