Saturday, February 4, 2012

Barnegat Lighthouse Jetty

I have been wanting to get to Barnegat Light to walk along the jetty again this winter. The Harlequin Ducks are always so beautiful. Maybe I will find some Snow Buntings (NOT)! There are always Common and Red-throated Loons, Brant, Purple Sandpipers, Ruddy Turnstones and a variety of other birds. I did get good looks at a new life bird, an Ipswich Sparrow!
Drake Harlequin Duck caught a crab.
close up Drake Harlequin Duck
Ruddy Turnstone (below)
Ipswich Sparrow which is subspecies of the Savannah Sparrow.(below)
The only bad part of the day was a fall out on the jetty fairly close to the end. Fortunately, while I did substain some bruising and difficulty with twisting of my leg but I didn't break anything. That brings up the question, Will I ever walk out the jetty so close to the and again where the boulders are covered with the algae? Not sure but probably not especially after reading the account of Howard Eskin falling between the boulders on the jetty.

No comments: