Thursday, March 15, 2012

LBI ~ Holgate

Years & years ago I spent one summer vacation in Peahala Park on LBI with a cousin's family. I thought maybe today I'd be able to figure out where it was exactly I'd stayed and see if the old house from the 60's was still there. The reason why was my family were going on another 5 week camping trip. this time to the Western USA and I couldn't stomach the thought of spending all of that time in our car. What a fool I was as I missed the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park and some other great places that I still haven't been able to see as an adult! Driving down the length of LBI takes longer than I realized. It has been built up heavily with what I'd call McMansions but as I reached Peahala Park there was their old house standing proudly. Can't believe it looks pretty much the same as I remember from my youth.
Once I arrived at Holgate I found a pristine beach. To get out to the end of the island is about a 2 mile walk. I was hoping to find some Piping Plovers had arrived to take up residence. I walked out about a mile seeing nary a bird on the beach but found a seahorse on the beach along with some beautiful shells. There were a few Long-tailed ducks riding the waves along with some loons.

No comments: