Saturday, March 10, 2012

Nummy Island- Red-throated Loons & Horned Grebe's

I am a reader of Don Freiday's blog which is great for nature/bird lovers. He posts at least once weekly with interesting facts and tidbits about birds but also usually posts several other pictures during the week. One recent post was about the Red-throated Loons hanging out by Nummy Island.
Red-throated Loon caught an appetiter!
I had been wanting to go by the Osprey nests by the bridge going into North Wildwood to see if the Osprey had arrived yet so since I was done early at work decided that I'd drive through Stone Harbor and check out a few sites before ending up at Nummy Island. Nothing at the Wetlands Institute but a few Mallards. Next stop at the Stone Harbor Bird Sanctuary where I really only saw some American Robins. Off over the free bridge which is having repairs and is down to one lane. I could see the tide was out and could see birds but no stopping permitted so down over to Nummy Island where I stopped a number of times and saw only a variety of gulls. Last stop South end of Nummy Island where I found the Red-throated Loons drifting in and out on the tide and mixed in were some Horned Grebe's that were diving in and out of the water. I spent quite a while sitting observing them and taking pictures.
Horned Grebe

No comments: