Thursday, May 24, 2012

Nummy Island - Start of a great day of birding


When arriving on Nummy Island where the Terns were catching fish I went forward to walk along the side of the road so I could get in better range for pictures and almost walked on top of an American Oystercatcher nest.  Momma/Dad Oystercatcher was so buried I couldn't see the bird in amongst the wrack.  As the AO left the nest I caught a glimpse of her eggs so I took a quick photo before backing away from the area and letting Momma return to nest.  The AO returned quickly to the nest.
 The terns were fishing as were the Snowy and Great Egrets.  Almost every time the terns dived a fish was caught and across the way on the spit the egrets were feasting on small fish.
I saw Least Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, (left) a Tri-colored Heron, Greater Yellow Legs, Black-bellied Plovers, Dowitchers,  Red-winged Blackbirds, Willets, Laughing Gulls and more.

Further down the road the Black-crowned Night Heron was catching breakfast. It was fun to watch the BCNH catch the fish caught up in the green slime, get the fish out and eat it.








No comments: