Monday, October 28, 2013

Birding with Mike ~ Day 3

Yesterday, Mike and I traveled up to Edwin Forsythe NWR ~ also known as "Brig".  I had hoped we'd see lots of birds not yet on his trip list. I was hoping that the ducks would have arrived and while some had arrived not nearly the numbers or variety that will be coming.  He saw 7 new species for his trip list while we had a good time. He so wanted to see a Seaside or Salt Marsh Sparrow but the luck wasn't with him.  Today, we started on the beach in Cape May where I had fun photographing the Black Skimmers.  Many of the group were young probably first year and are fun to watch while they try to learn how to gracefully skim along the water to feed.


We did some more birding throughout the day even spending some time looking at my backyard while we had lunch.   I hoped he would see Dark-eyed Junco, Carolina Wren and Swamp Sparrow here as they have been recent visitors.  None of which showed themselves.   After our lunch we headed over to Cape May where I gave him a tour of the beautiful "Painted Ladies" of Cape May.  When we parted ways he had gotten another 7 species of birds for his list which stood at 98.  He also added another 3-4 life species on his life butterfly list while at looking at the gardens in my yard.


No comments: