Friday, November 29, 2013

Stone Harbor Point ~ Snowy Owl & Snow Buntings


Lots of Snowy Owls are invading this area, which as I understand it, is further South than they are usually found.  Brig reported a Snowy Owl yesterday of which Don Freiday got some great pictures.  Fiday was the annual post Thanksgiving trip to Brig and I thought about going but with so much else going on I stayed home.  Then I heard a report of a Snowy at the Point so off I went.  Stopped at Nummy Island but nothing much seen.  Walked up along the free bridge looking out both sides.  On the spit were about 2 dozen American Oystercatchers, some Dunlin, Sanderlings, other peep, some gulls and in the water a flock of Brant. On the south side there were King Eiders.  Off to the Point where I walked the jetty which had mostly Sanderlings and Dunlin with a few Ruddy Turnstones.  Then the walk out to the Point where I got about 1/2 way and met up with some birders who pointed out the Snowy Owl in front of me.  The views were awesome.  The owl was just beautiful.  My pictures just don't do it justice so I hope to go back and get better pictures.  Also got to see a flock of Snow Buntings flying but not really any close up looks.  After I left the Point I tried the Meadows for closer looks at the Snow Buntings but nothing!

No comments: