Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Yard ~ found Monarch Caterpillar

Today was day 2 of cutting down all of the canna stalks.  I must have cut 300 down yesterday and had another 100 stalks to go. Time to pull out some of the extra bulbs to pass along to friends in the spring.  I also took all of the stalks to the MUA for disposal - a total of 3 trips with the back of the van fairly full of the stalks.  I also took out most of the Tropical Milkweed.  When I was taking out some of the last section I Found a Monarch Caterpillar on the ground by the stalk that was curled into a ball.  that's a defense mechanism when the Monarch cat feels threatened.  I picked it up and the cat opened in my hand and started to explore so I took it over to an area I hadn't cut totally back.  It seems to like it's new surroundings though I might bring it in to rear in an aquarium so it will make it instead of leaving it to the elements and possible freezing weather outside.

No comments: