Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Memories ~ Stockings


Mom & Dad 1981
Back in the early 80's I was an avid quilter and cross stittcher. I made many gifts for friends including CS stockings.  I branched out from CS to needlepoint and decided I would make my family needlepoint Christmas stockings.  The first stockings made were for my Mom, Jeanne and Dad, Cliff.  Their stockings highlighted their interests as Mom liked birds and Dad was an avid tennis player.  I made stocking for my niece, Lisa as an infant and her brother, Eddie as a toddler.  Then I made one that was designed specially for my husband, Russ. He wanted Santa down on the beach with the gulls. The last stocking I made was for my sister, Leslie.  I never did get mine made as it had mice on it and Russ hated mice.   I should get it out and just get it done.

Dad, Mom and Russ are all in heaven now.  Each Christmas I put out their stockings and think about the many happy Christmas's we had together.  This past year I had a gas fireplace installed in the living room so now have just the best spot to hang the stockings.  On the mantle are the Wallace Christmas balls Russ gave me for each year we were together ~ 26 in all before he died.

No comments: