Wednesday, November 5, 2014

FL ~ Driving along I 75

Black Vulture
I 75 transects the state of Fl at the South end.  This is the road we used to drive to and from Coconut Creek.  We decided on the return home to take our time and stop at a few of the recreational areas to look for any birds.  In the morning we had good looks at vultures including a Black Vulture.  Along most Florida roads there are waterways with some marshy areas beyond those ditches.  I was very excited to find a Purple Gallinule at the first stop we made along with Common Yellowthroat.  I have seen Purple Gallinule before but here I was closer to the bird and had much better looks.  Such a beautiful bird!  We also saw Anihinga, American Coot, male and female boat-tailed Crackles and Red-winged Blackbirds.  I also found a water snake sunning himself on the rocks.  It was a fun drive back to our lodgings.

Purple Gallinule

Purple Gallinule

No comments: