Monday, January 4, 2016

Flowers in January

It is surely hard to believe that it is January.  There have been unseasonably warm temperatures the past few months.  For this reason we still had butterflies flying in NJ into January.  I am involved in logging butterflies I see into a South NJ butterfly log.   So far in January there have been sightings of 2 Monarchs, a number of Common Buckeyes, Orange Sulphurs and Clouded Sulphurs.  I saw my last butterfly on Dec 27th and it was a Clouded Sulphur at Cox Hall Creek WMA.  I still have some flowers booming in my yard - several species of Gaillardia planted in spring 2015, some Lantana and Petunia that didn't succumb to the heavy frost we had one night in Dec and Pansies planted in October.  Driving along the roadways I saw Iris blooming  along with early spring flowers.





No comments: