Thursday, July 28, 2016

Goshen CMBO ~ Butterflies

This morning I visited the CMBO gardens in Goshen.  They have changed so much since I first started going there.  At one time all f the grounds were mowed.  Now they have overgrown grounds with a 4 ft path that meanders around the property and you can look for butterflies. I saw 15 species of butterflies including many that were nectaring on Mountain Mint including 3 Juniper Hairstreak, 3 Gray Hairstreaks, 2 Red-banded Hairstreaks, Common Buckeye, American lady, Horace's Duskywing, and many Broad-winged Skippers. Other skippers I saw were a male Zabulon Skipper, Least Skipper and Silver-spotted Skipper.  In addition I saw Eastern Black Swallowtail, Eastern Tiger Swallowtails and Spicebush Swallowtails. It was a great morning.
Juniper Hairstreak


Male Zabulon Skipper

No comments: