Monday, March 13, 2017

Fellsmere, FL ~ St Sebastain River Preserve State Park ~ Red-cockaded Woodpecker ~ Life Bird #428

I was looking for a place to spend some time as my accommodations wouldn't be ready until 4PM the other day. My original plan was to visit West Regional WTF Wetlands but when I arrived there the gates were locked with a sign up that they are closed until April 6th.  This was a bummer because this also happened in Delray Beach where the wetlands are closed until March 18th.  I did some quick research at the local library and found that this state park is known for the endangered Red-cockaded Woodpecker.  I decided I'd hike here and see if I could find them.  I wasn't successful the first time I hiked there but today I was successful in finding one of the woodpeckers though first, I did find 2 Downy Woodpeckers.  Because they are endangered and the woodpecker makes nests in the hardwood Long-needle Pines, the naturalists are "helping" them by putting nest boxes into the pine trees.  The woodpeckers, then work on the trees making the sap drain down and cover the front of the boxes so the snakes can't get in and eat the eggs or baby woodpeckers.

Red-cockaded Woodpecker

Red-cockaded Woodpecker

Natural nest made by the woodpecker

Nest help from the Naturalists with the sap starting to cover it.



No comments: