Thursday, December 26, 2019

Beth's Patch ~ Nature Sightings

Yesterday, Christmas Day, I had a friend stop in to visit for a few hours.  I haven't seen her in 2 years since a tip to Palm Desert, CA to relax and do some birding.

 Bernie and I decided to tour the gardens which are dead except for a very few plants. The temperatures have been in the 50's during the day most of December with a few colder days interspersed here and there.  Night temperatures vary.  

We found 4 Common Buckeye butterfly caterpillars feeding on snapdragons, a native Carolina Mantis egg casing though I have seen another few casings I didn't really look for them today.  We also found several Black swallowtail pupa and some Spicebush swallowtail pupa.  These will be among the first butterflies to eclose in late spring here if they overwinter without any issues.  Only time will tell...


Carolina Mantis egg casing called an ootheca.

Spicebush Swallowtail Pupa

Black Swallowtail Pupa

No comments: