Friday, July 30, 2010

Bev Bennett, Quilter Extraordinaire

The Internet has broadened my horizons plus it’s made the world a smaller place. I've met and made some wonderful friends over the years......via the Internet. With an online dyeing group I went to a retreat in MT seeing Yellowstone while with them. I’ve reconnected with HS and nursing school friends. I planned my nursing school class 30 and 35th reunions…..via the Internet. Last Thursday I received a message that made me stop and realize how the Internet has changed communication, too.

Back in the 90’s I joined an online quilting group as my life dictated that I needed to spend more time close to home. I loved piecing quilt tops and talking with my “quilting family”. Little did I know how joining that group would change my life. Our original leader, BillieJean had to withdraw and another quilter, Bev took over as the motivating force behind our group which we called Sunshine Quilters. Last week I learned (again via the Internet) that she passed on to kinder pastures. She's been ill for a couple of years, ruptured brain aneurysm, a growing aortic aneurysm, heart and lung disease, but her passing is still a shock.

Bev Bennett was little lady who was an optimist, no matter what her situation... ...she never slowed down, either. A retired Army nurse, she devoted her later years to quilting for children around the world. I don't know how many children have enjoyed the fruits of her labors...... ...thousands, literally. She was our "Mother Hen." She was one of our quilting angels....she' d take quilt tops made by others and quilt them on her home sewing machine, bind them and mail them off to children world wide. Even when she was still working outside the home she was quilting 200 to 300 quilts a year! Her finished quilts have gone to Siberian orphanages, 3rd world countries where children are receiving Rotoplast surgeries, US Indian Reservations, plus many, many more children in various places. Sunshine's motto is "Keeping the World Warm - One Quilt at a Time". That's exactly what she did!

Bev loved her kitties and dog, too. We all enjoyed her stories about KC Kitty, amongst others. She posted pictures of moose peeking in her window while her dog sat inside and watched. We'd shudder when she'd write about it being 40 deg. below zero during the winter, and wish for the lovely sunshine she'd describe in the summer. She'd mention stopping along the roadside on the way home from work to watch the Northern Lights. She talked about the beautiful Alaskan wildflowers. She loved Alaska!

Widowed over 25 years ago, Bev still talked of wonderful times spent with her husband Don. When my husband, Russ died almost 4 ½ years ago she was one of the first to email me and sent numerous notes to help me through my grief. Even though I never met Bev in person I felt like I knew her and that she was a friend. I mourn her passing though now she’s at peace.

RIP dear Friend. You may be gone from this world, but not from my heart.
Bev Bennett, Quilter Extraordinaire

No comments: