Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Clapper Rails and their Babies - June 30

Since I didn't seee any Clapper Rails when I was out on the Skimmer I decided to try Benny's Landing Rd. I had so much good luck there a few weeks ago that surely those Clapper's must have had some babies.

I went out to the marshes 3 times over 2 days. The first time was mid afternoon and the next day I went before work about 8am and after work around 4:30pm. I saw several adult Clapper Rails and about 6-7 babies. I don't know how many families that encompasses but I really enjoyed the photo opportunities. One of my favorite shots were when a "little one" found a small fiddler crab bringing it out of the marsh and down to the water to wash it off before eating it.


Another time was when Mom (or Dad) was bathing down at the waters edge several of the chicks were watching them bathe and preen and then they tried it on their own. A great example of learning by example... Pictures are of the same.

No comments: