Thursday, July 26, 2012

Butterflies in my backyard

How exciting that all of my hard work is paying off. Making the front new gardens plus adding the rotten fruit for nectaring and more flowers in the backyard gardens has brought in with new butterflies in my backyard. About 2 weeks ago I saw a Variegated Fritillary nectaring on some of the flowers including the Tropical Milkweed. Today the Variegated Fritillary butterflies were on my Rudibecka. In the backyard on the rotten friut was an awesome Mouring Cloak and an American Snout. I've seen Mourning Cloaks before though usually on the roads in the spring. I'd never seen an American Snout before of which I am aware. Totally awesome!
Variegated Fritillary




American Snout


Mourning Cloak

Horace's Duskywing

2 comments:

The Quilting Elf said...

Beautiful butterfly garden (everything the well brought up butterfly deserves to have) and great shots!

PS Has a raccoon found the fruit yet - LOL? We have one.

Kathy T. in Tampa

Beth said...

No raccoons seen!