Saturday, March 9, 2013

Nummy Island

With such great success last week finding Piping Plovers at SH Point I decided to go back and see what birds were around also check out Nummy Island  First stop Nummy Island where there were both Red-throated and Common Loons, American Oystercatchers flying, Red-breasted Mergansers among the birds seen.









Now you see the Loon

And now you don't!
Common Loon in breeding plumage (below)










The tides were higher than I expected for a mid tide as I hadn't considered we just had a Nor'Easter a few days back and now there was a new moon. So off I went to SH Point to watch the birds playing along the waters edge.  So, I carried my chair down to the beach and carefully placed it for good looks at the birds.













After about 1/2 hr there was a sudden higher wave that stranded me in several inches of water as I hadn't realized I placed the chair in a depression.  The wave didn't recede as I would have expected, so my choices were to run through the water in my sneakers then or wait for a few more waves and deeper water.  So I picked up my beach chair, protected my camera and got out of that spot.  Walking back the beach I noted that the tide was much higher than normal and was breaking well above the "normal" breaker line.  The picture to the left is normally quite far from the breakers and the waves were rushing far beyond it onto the protected beach/dune areas.  Driving back through Nummy Island I was amazed to see water lapping at the edges of the road.  I haven't ever seen the water almost ready to flood the road.  (Below is a picture)









No comments: