Saturday, May 18, 2013

Goshen CMBO

Off to the Goshen branch of the CMBO to see what's going on there.  Last year I found good numbers of birds and butterflies each time I visited there.  Since I am not yet having much luck with the butterflies in my yard I though maybe I'd have better luck elsewhere.  The first birds I spotted were Barn Swallows.  There were some by the front door on a ledge and then to the side under the eves I found a pair building a nest.  How cool to watch them build.  Off they go to a source of mud and back they come with the mud on their beck, then they put it onto the sides they've already done.  Then they also bring back some mud that has some straw mixed in to give the nest some strength.  Very amazing.

Barn Swallows nest building
As I walked around the building I saw some American Goldfinches, some Mockingbirds, Carolina Wren and a Brown Thrasher and only one butterfly -American Lady.








No comments: