Sunday, March 30, 2014

Baja Mexico trip Recap


Gray Hairstreak

I've been home a few days and it's great to be home but I am missing the nice sunny weather.  I am looking forward to better weather coming to NJ in the next few weeks and with it the start of spring migration.

In Mexico I was fortunate enough to add 14 species of birds to my life list including Hooded Oriole, Scott's Oriole, Pyrrhuloxia, Gila Woodpecker, Cactus Wren, Phainopepla, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Horned Lark, Crested Carcara, Brant's Cormorant, Western Kingbird, Gilded Flicker along with the 2 endemics Gray Thrasher and Xantus's Hummingbird. In total I saw 46 species of birds and many species of butterflies many of which I still need to ID.  There were 4 iguanas seen each living in it's own Cactus.
(left) Costa's Hummingbird

Orange-crowned Warbler

Fritillary - most likely Gulf or Mexican

No comments: