Thursday, October 8, 2015

My yard ~ 16 Butterfly Species ~ Yard Species #37

Today, I am off so worked out in the gardens.  It was a sunny day with warm temperatures.  The Monarchs exploded this afternoon with almost 3 dozen here.  Also have about a dozen Monarch caterpillars eating away on common and tropical milkweed, a few are in J positions plus we found 14 chrysalis after vacation. There are Black Swallowtails and BS caterpillars.  There are lots of fresh Common Buckeye, American & Painted Ladies, Cabbage Whites, Cloudless and Orange Sulphurs, Variegated Fritillary and Gray Hairstreak,  There are Red Admirals and Mourning Cloak nectaring on rotten fruit.  Fiery and Sachem skippers are here.  I have a FOY Ocola Skipper plus a first ever sighting of a Common Checkered- Skipper.  That is yard butterfly #37.  I am wondering what butterflies were here in the 3 weeks I was away??  How about when I am at work?   How many species am I missing??  Hopefully, next summer I'll be off more to find out.

Common Checkered Skipper ~ Yard Species #37

Ocola Skipper

Orange Sulphur Butterfly


No comments: