Sunday, September 6, 2015

My Yard ~ Clouded Sulphur Butterfly

Our two Colias Sulphurs are hard to separate, especially the white-form females.  Because I am not skilled enough to make an ID, I sent my images off to some of the experts at the South Jersey Butterfly group who consulted with other butterfly experts.   Since I managed to get an image of the dorsal side which shows the pattern of the white spots in the black they are able to ID this as a Clouded Sulphur.  This species has been recorded in my yard in 2013 but I wasn't at home to see it at that time.







Our two Colias sulphurs are difficult to separate, especially white-form females. Beth Polvino’s super shot makes it possible here, though, because she caught this sulphur with its dorsal side showing. The pattern of white spots in the black indicates this is a clouded sulphur

No comments: