Saturday, November 5, 2016

Hummers in the Yard

Rufous Hummingbird
3 years ago at the beginning of November I had a Rufous Hummingbird come to stay at my house for 7 weeks. It was really exciting as the birders came to determine whether it was an Allen's or a Rufous.  This morning I caught some movement out f the corner of my eye and realized a hummer was in the yard.  It's a late migrating Ruby-throated hummingbird so there's still hope for a Western hummer to come pay us a visit.


Rufous Hummingbird 11/4/2013

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 11/5/16

2 comments:

marciinidaho said...

Hi Beth

Saw you on the Sunnies. What gorgeous pictures. I live in North Idaho and we get hummers for a few weeks each year. I love it when one hummer claims a feeder and then trys to keep all the others away. We get mostly Rufous with a few red throats. I think they are the most marvelous of birds. Marci in Idaho

Beth said...

I love the hummers. Mine arrive in May and leave to breed returning in July. Then they stay through mid October. As you say they are very territorial.