Thursday, November 3, 2016

Garrett Family Preserve @ Cape Island Creek

There is a newly opened wildlife area in Lower Twp.  The area covers 180 acres along the Cape Island Creek and encompasses a number of different habitats for birds.  It is also a great area for butterflies.  I recently met a friend there and we walked part of the property.  While walking I saw many Common Buckeyes and lots of Orange Sulphurs.  After she left I continued walking the perimeter trail.  I found a set of 4 arbors, a bird blind that overlooks both the marsh and an Osprey platform and all 3 of the artist easels that are set up around the property.  Along the green trail I found a field of yellow flowers that were filled with many Monarchs, Sulphurs of various species, Buckeyes and other butterflies and bees.  I look forward to going back again soon.

Sachem Skipper on Wild Radish

Cloudless Sulphur on Wild Radish

Mating Orange Sulphurs on Frost Aster

Orange Sulphur on Wild Radish

American Lady Butterfly on Wild Radish





No comments: