Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Honeycroft Village ~ Around my Yard ~ Red-spotted Purple

 Several years ago I was lucky enough to have documented the life cycle of the Red-spotted Purple at my home in NJ.  One of the things I brought with me to PA was 4 potted native cherry trees that are between 2 and 3 ft.  They started out as little seedlings from the tree in my yard there.  A few days ago I found several eggs on 2 of the trees and within 24 hrs one of the eggs had hatched.  Since, then, 2 eggs hatched yesterday so there are 3 caterpillars.  It is amazing how small the eggs are as they are not even as big as a had of a pin.  They are about as thin as a hair and 1/16th of an inch long.

9/3 - Red-spotted Egg ready to hatch

9/3 - Red-spotted Egg

9/4 - Red-spotted caterpillar eating egg casing


9/5 - Red-spotted caterpillar eating part of leaf

9/5 - Red-spotted caterpillar eating part of leaf

9/5 - Red-spotted caterpillar ate about 1/4" of the leaf

9/6 - Red-spotted caterpillar has eaten about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of the leaf


No comments: