Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Around My Yard ~ Monarch Haven

 This fall was great for Monarch caterpillars in my yard with over 25 caterpillars seen on one of the days.  All caterpillars were laid on swamp milkweed but in the end I had to switch 6-8 caterpillars to butterfly milkweed because the swamp milkweed was all eaten.  I will buy more of it for next year even though I had planted 3 plants this year.  Maybe, I'll give away the butterfly milkweed.  I have seen at least 11 Monarch's eclose with 2 others damaged.  There are 2 left that I can see that still need to be ready for the next step.  Good luck as they all fly south.

Monarch caterpillars munching away

Chrysalis everywhere

Black Swallowtail chrysalis on rt & Monarch chrysalis on left





Monarch chrysalis just eclosed and something has bitten
of a fair amount of both upper and lower wings.



Monarch ready to emerge from the chrysalis


This Skipper-spotted skipper just didn't want to leave the Monarch alone. 
The Monarch had just eclosed and was pumping up his wings.

 


No comments: