Saturday, January 29, 2011

Birding in January


Birding in January in NJ this year is not for the faint of heart. The weather hasn't been the best with a major snowstorm Dec 26th with snow that has lingered plus 2 other major snow events along with frigid temperatures. Just when you think the weather is going to change for the better another snow storm is predicted. I was lucky to be able to go out 2 days to the Avalon seawall.

The first day I just needed to break free or go stir crazy. I was only going to drive up to see what birds were about but not stay. I wasn't dressed appropriately that day and the winds were blowing off the water but in the forecast there was a day that was predicted to have calm winds with the temperature in the midthirties - a positive heat wave! I did walk out the seawall on that first day and the Purple Sandpipers and Ruddy Turnstones were roosting against the rocks on the South side trying to stay out of the winds. It was a quick walk out and back.

Day 2 I was prepared with many layers of clothing including long underwear, boots and gloves. I stayed out for about 1.5 hours. There were Long-tailed Ducks courting, Greater and Lesser Scaups, Surf & Black Scoters, Common Loons along with several types of gulls, Ruddy Turnstones and Purple Sandpipers. From there I back tracked to Cape May Point but all was frozen and I didn't see much of anything.

No comments: