Saturday, January 29, 2011

More January birding



I have a hankering to see some eagles so when I was on the computer checking out Cape May County I ran across the fact the Mauricetown in Cumberland County has an Eagle festival every year that's held the first Saturday in February. Since I have only been birding about a year I haven't really ventured out of CM County so thought why not take a drive up to preview the area, see where the viewing platforms and walks are going to be held. I'd like to go but do prefer to know where I am going so I don't get lost. So off I went exploring checking out the 4 viewing areas. I had brunch at a cafe just at the edge of the water in Newport where going back the road, I saw flocks of birds - Blue Jays, American Robins, Common Crackles, Starlings plus some birds foraging on the ground including a Flicker that was apparently looking for bugs & several White-throated Sparrows. As I tried to get a good picture of the Flicker he flew off to the trees where I was able to take a picture. Drove from there, out to Gandy's Beach, where I came across about 8 Great Blue Herons and some hawks that were out in the distance. I checked out Fortescue where I saw a lone Sanderling trying to find food along the snow/ice drifted beach. Next it was off to Turkey Point where 2 Great Blue's were walking across the street with about a dozen more were all together in a field. Here I saw an Eagles nest but sadly no Eagles to be seen. But all in all a nice day and great to be outdoors even if only driving along!

No comments: