Friday, February 25, 2011

Brig & Barnaget Birding - con't

When I was finished at Brig, I drove up to LBI.

One summer when I was a teenager I stayed on LBI for 3 weeks while my family went out West on a camping trip. I stayed on the South end of the island and don't remember ever going up past Surf City, which is Mid island. Boy, has LBI grown with a WAWA when you first get on the island, big mansions along the beach that are privately owned and deny beach access to all with no trespassing signs. It seemed to take forever to drive up island to the lighthouse.

In the parking lot of the lighthouse I saw some birders/photographers who had their scopes and cameras visible so I stopped them to talk with them. They said they'd had a great time and to hurry out to the jetty but to be careful out there on the rocks. I found Brant, male and female Harlequin Ducks, an immature Great Cormorant, Scaup, Black Scoters, lots of different gulls and Purple Sandpipers. I heard there was a Harbor Seal swiming in and out by the jetty but I never did see him. Maybe next trip I'll get lucky. I never did get to go south on the island so next time I plan to drive down to the south end and see how it's changed.






No comments: