Friday, February 25, 2011

Brig & Barnaget Birding

Pictures from Brig - Great Black-backed Gull, Snow Geese flying, Snow Geese in water, Female and Male Northern Shoveler, male and female Northern Pintail.

Last Friday the weather forecast was great for birding and photography. Temperatures were to be in the 50's with little wind and a slightly cloudy day. I felt like I wanted to get out and enjoy myself so I decided to go Edwin Forysthe (Brig), followed by going to Long Beach Island to Barnaget Lighthouse.

I have been hearing that lots of ducks and snow geese hang out at Brig in the winter. I have also heard that the place to find Harlequin Ducks in the winter is up at Barnaget Lighthouse. I'd never been to either place so the day would be an new experience for me and when I set off I wondered what delights were in store for the day.

Brig had lots of snow geese which was a first for me. I also saw a number of species of ducks, some of which I can't ID, plus several hawks. I took the 8 mile drive around the impoundments.

No comments: