Monday, April 16, 2012

Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge

I have wanted to visit Bombay Hook NWR in De since I got interested in birding but have never found the time. After my trip to PA for Lisa's baby shower I thought that I would make the time. I had an adventure getting there as I got off rt 13 South at the exit before I should have. Then I missed a turn as the road wasn't well marked so I went 7 miles further down the highway but it gave me a good idea of the local area for any further trips. Once I arrived I stopped into the visitors center where the volunteer was so helpful and fun to talk to about the refuge. She also provided me with a Delaware Birding Trail leaflet for future trips.

My primary target birds were Black-necked Stilts, American Avocets (lifer) and Wood Ducks though I am happy to see all birds. Luckily I got the fist two birds plus lots of Yellow Legs in first impoundment.


The next area had lots of Coots and a variety of other ducks including Pied-billed Grebe (lifer), Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shovelers and a beaver.  I also saw 2 Bald Eagles off in the distance in a tree.

No comments: