Monday, April 16, 2012

Heislersville, Thompson Beach Road, Jake's Landing

The drive home from Bombay Hook NWR saw me stopping at Heislersville, Thompson Beach Rd and Jake's Landing.
At Heislersville the roost on the island was filled with Double-crested Cormorants, Great Blue Herons, Great White Egrets and some Black-crowned Night Herons.  I was surprised to see that the trees were really bare and hadn't started to leaf out.  Later when talking to a CMBO Naturalist he said that the Double-crested Cormorants roosted there in 2011 and that their guana kills the foliage. Now there is a roost of Black-crowned Night Herons tucked back along the road as you first drive into the area.  I was surprised to find the impoundments are still very high so there were few birds, mostly Yellow Legs and Eastern Willets.
An Osprey nest on the way to Thompson Beach Rd.  I had hoped to see Clapper Rails out on Thompson Beach Rd but only heard them.

Driving further south I decided to stop at Jake's Landing Road where I had seen my FOS Willets last year.  I was rewarded with seeing my FOS Willets.  The exciting part were that they were displaying so it was really neat to see.

No comments: