Monday, April 16, 2012

Bombay Hook NWR- con't

Bear Swamp Trail had a colony of roosting Black-crowned Night Herons, more Coots, Green Heron, plus the prize of a sunning Belted Kingfisher that showed nicely until a passing car flushed it. I walked the walking path at the beginning where I saw a Hermit Thrush (lifer), 2 Eastern Towhee, tons of Great White Egrets and some Black-capped Chickadees.



I must say that I was disappointed in Bombay but that's probably my fault as the birds were just not there in the numbers I had expected.  Apparently, it's just after the main duck season and at the start of the shorebird migration season.  Also there were dog ticks everywhere blowing in my car window as the day's temperatures reached 85 which is a record for 4/16.  I was happy to have some new lifers but would have liked to see more birds.

No comments: