Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Backyard Views - My Yard


It's been really fun to see how many butterflies are taking advantage of my feeder of rotten fruit.  I have many Questions Marks, Red Admirals and some Mourning Cloak visit daily.  The past 2 days the birds have been eating the gnats that collect around the rotten fruit but the birds have also tried to catch a butterfly or two for a tastier meal.






































Yesterday afternoon I put the birds feeders out again for the winter.  I have 3 feeders out - one with sunflower seeds, one with thistle and one with safflower.  Early this morning the thistle and sunflower seed feeders were mobbed by Pine Siskins who were fighting for position on the feeders.  Not to worry there's plenty of food for all of you.  The Pine Siskins are both a new life bird and a new yard bird for me.  That makes #36 for the species I have seen in my yard.  I am so happy I took out the Autumn Olive trees 3 years ago and replaced them with gardens of native plantings.

No comments: