Friday, October 19, 2012

American Bald Eagles - Conowingo Dam, MD

Last year when birding one day another birder and I got into conversation about good places to see different types of birds.  He suggested going to Conowingo Dam in MD during the from mid Octiber through mid-March to see both American Bald Eagles and a variety of species of gulls.  He had been there and told me that while the winter months are usually the best there's lots to see at other times. 



The dam is a hydroelectric plant that pulls water from the upper river when electric demand is high.  It pulls fish with the water that the birds then feed upon.  Wintertime is also said to bring in a number of duck species.  To be it sounded like a delightful spot to take some photographs of the eagles.  Since my grandson is getting married this weekend in Lebanon, PA and I planned to stay in Lancaster this was the perfeect time to check out the dam.

This time of year driving is a visual pleasure due to the changing of the foliage.  I had a little trouble finding the dam and the area where you can view the birds along the Susquehanna River.  It was great with a good number of eagles over on the island across from the viewing area.  There was also one eafeeding on a fish up in the tree right by where we parked. I spent about 2 hrs there before leaving for my friend's house in Lancaster.









No comments: