Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Butterfly of the Day - Common Buckeye

This morning I went over to Higbee Beach fields look for birds and butterflies.  I found few birds 2 Green-winged Warblers, an American Redstart, and the usual common birds -American Cardinals, Catbirds and such.  Disappointing, so I left and went over to South Cape Meadows.  All along the East and West paths were Common Buckeyes butterflies and also growing along the paths was Gerardia which is one of their host plants.  I saw 2 Common Buckeyes depositing eggs on the plant and also found caterpillars - lots and lots of caterpillars.  Most of the plants had single cats but several plants had 2 cats and one plant had 3 cats feeding on it.  All total I saw 16 caterpillars and at least 10 CB butterflies. I have snapdragons in my yard which is another of their host plants but have only ever seen one Common Buckeye chrysalis in my yard.  I have never seen any cats.  Here are some pictures from today.






No comments: