Monday, September 1, 2014

My Yard

Front & Side front gardens
Back yard gardens looking NE

Garden along the back

My yard gives me great pleasure over the year even though the gardens can be s fair amount of work.  I love the end of the summer and fall as all of the flowers are in full bloom and draw in the hummingbirds and butterflies.  Sadly, this has been a slow year for the butterflies.  I have had less than 20 species so far with a Red-spotted Purple coming to the party 2 days ago.  I have lots of Monarchs who having been laying good numbers of eggs.  I have seen about 20 Monarch chrysalis and some have enclosed.  One Monarch was born and his wings couldn't expand - very sad.  I have seen some Black Swallowtails but for some reason even with lots of parsley there are few eggs or caterpillars.  I see Ruby-throated Hummingbirds on a daily basis and sometimes there are 3-4 chasing each other.  It's strange but they don't feed off my feeders at all and only go to the nectar plants of which there are plenty for them.
Red-spotted Purple
Ruby-throated Hummingbird


4 comments:

Pattilou said...

Such a beautiful yard. It is balanced and just lovely!

warriormom said...

Your gardens are beautiful!!

Beth said...

Thanks for the nice comments!

The Quilting Elf said...

Sigh ... what beauty you have achieved while I have a brown thumb. But I do have lots of milkweed for my monarchs!
Kathy T. in Tampa