Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Stevens, Pa ~ Middle Creek WMA

This was my first visit to Middle Creek, made better by going with birding friends, Herb & Betty.  There wasn't much in the way of birds but the butterflies were not in great quantity but enjoyable. Out on a trail, Betty found a Snowberry Clearwing moth caterpillar. I was excited as I have always heard the caterpillar was cool looking and now I was able to see that for myself. Lots of nectar in the form of False Sunflower and some Joe Pye weed. Planting at the Visitors Center brought in 3 Clearwing moths ~ Snowberry & Hummingbird.  The visitors center had awesome displays of many preserved birds.  It was well worth a visit and it would be worth a second visit also.

Snowberry Clearwing moth caterpillar

Monarch

Silver-spotted Skipper with Hummingbird Clearwing moth

Hummingbird Clearwing

Hummingbird Clearwing

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

No comments: