Sunday, May 1, 2011

Cox Hall Creek WMA - May 1

As I mentioned before in another posting, the Villas WMA was closed in Feabruary to remove the buildings that had been vandalized, set on fire and generally were a safety factor. The area reopened as the Cox Hall Creek WMA about 2 weeks ago but I hadn't had a chance to visit yet. So today was the day. I will say that the landscape looks quite different without the buildings. The job they did was excellent, along with being ahead of schedule, though they did remove some of the asphalt paths I would use for birding. I walked those paths anyway as that offers a better birding experience. I would have liked more time to walk but as both of my sisters are visiting I went home about 10:30AM so had just about 3 hrs.


I saw many Tufted Titmice and was surprised to learn they are a cavity nester as I saw a pair of them by the cavity in the tree. I got several good pictures of one of them at the top of the cavity while the other disappeared into the cavity. I saw a good number of Yellow-rumped Warblers, some Blue Jays feeding on lichen (which was pretty neat also), Eastern Bluebirds, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Double-crested Cormorants at the pond, Chipping Sparrows along with many other species of birds.

No comments: