Sunday, May 1, 2011

Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge - May 1




After birding this AM, the afternoon was set aside for a trip to Tuckerton for a possible Craig's list purchase on "barely used" Lazy Boy chairs. (NOT, NOT, NOT!!!!) Since Tuckerton is about 1/2 hr north of Forsythe I asked if we could go there to drive the 8-mile long trail. When I was birding on Friday in Cape May Point I was talking to another birder who had seen some Whimbrel at Forsythe on Thursday. So both sisters took books with them to read while I was driving along the trail though Jenny did do some looking also. I actually could have spent more time there but my one sister needed to get home that evening and it's a 2 1/2-3 hr drive.


There was a nice selection of birds starting with an immature Red-tailed Hawk, several Great Blue Herons, some Great and Snowy Egrets, lots of Willets, Forster's Terns diving for fish, Double-crested Cormorands, Greater and Lesser Yellow Legs and Whimbrel. I was thrilled to see about a dozen Whimbrel out on the east side feeding in the grasses but even better as we drove along there were about 8 bathing and preening at the water's edge. As we drove on we saw Black-bellied Plover, Osprey, some Dunlin and Dowitchers, some remaining Brant and Canada Geese, lots of Blackbirds calling plus across the way had been some smaller birds feeding at the edge I believe were some type of sandpipers but I really couldn't see them well enough to ID them. Now I can't wait for my next trip back to Forsythe before the bugs get started! Top 2 pictures are of a Great Egret and the bottom three are Whimbrel. Enjoy!

No comments: