Monday, September 10, 2012

Great Morning birding

This morning I was up early to spend the day birding. I started my day at Higbee Beach going up onto the dike. It's quite a climb but once up at the top the view is great and you are up in the trees with the birds. This was my first time up on the dike. There were lots of species of birds flying past us. For me most of the time I couldn't ID the birds before they flew away so I found being up there disappointing. I did have one of the birds fly into a tree nearby and give me good looks. It was a new lifer for me - a Red-eyed Vireo(left). Then I went walked one of the fields where I had glimpses of the Connecticut Warbler but not much else.


Next it was over CMP State Park. I went up onto the Hawk Watch Platform for a while but it was pretty dead so I decided to walk the trails. In front of the Hawkwatch in the bushes I had another lifer - a Yellow Warbler. (left)


On the trails I saw a good number of American Redstarts, darting back and forth, some Black-and-white Warblers, a Northern Parula (left), and lots of varities of butterflies and dragonflies. It was a fun time.








No comments: