Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Arriving Juneau, Alaska


Arriving Juneau, Alaska  (Mendenhall Glacier above)
We arrived in Juneau early today.  As we arrived, the M/V Columbia departed, leaving several other ferries at the dock.  Our layover was for 5 hours.  I should have gone out to see the Mendenhall Glacier which we saw on our arrival as we pulled into port but I was afraid that the timing would be off and I would miss getting back onto the ferry.  Turns out I could have gone and would have been back on the ferry in time but since we plan to walk out to the Exit Glacier in Seward all is good.  I did leave the ship and walked several miles down the road to a walking trail into the forest.  I only hiked in a short way as there were bear warnings and being by myself I decided that sticking to the roadway was a better idea.  The walk was great.  I saw about 6-8 Bald Eagles which is always a thrill plus the native wildflowers are blooming.


Waydelich Creek
Red Squirrel Auk Nu Trail



1 comment:

The Quilting Elf said...

Awesome glacier photo! Get some "bear bells" to tie in your shoelaces ...

Kathy T. in Tampa