Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tustumena Lake, Alaska



Next stop was driving down the Tustumena Lake Road to the lake.  The is the largest freshwater body on the Kenai Peninsula.  It is glacial fed and features 45 degree water temps and it is notorious for sudden severe winds.  Once at the boat launch I saw a Red-breasted Merganser pair flyby and some shorebirds fly across the lake but far enough away that I couldn't ID them without a scope.  Then I decided to walk along the edge of the lake for a bit.  I was surprised to have some Bonaparte Gulls (life bird) dive bombing me which usually means there is a nest nearby.  As I walked a little farther I saw a Yellow Legs on a little island of rock.  Then I saw a Bonaparte Gull with 2 chicks behind it.  How great it is to see the chicks.
Bonaparte Gull with chicks

No comments: